Reading progress update: I've read 39 out of 398 pages.

Across the Universe - Beth Revis

Okay, so they picked the planet they're heading to because the probe they sent ahead said it was habitable. They pretty much have no idea what they'll find when they get there. The probe can analyze soil and water samples, but it can't do topographical mapping, I guess. This business venture gets stupider by the minute. There better be some solid explanations down the line, because so far nothing is holding up under scrutiny.

Take this probe, for instance. If it takes 300 years to get to this planet, when the hell was the probe launched? The only solid date I've been given thus far is 2036 CE, which is when the ship's navigational tracking chart was patented. The new planet is called Centauri-Earth, which leads me to believe it's in the vicinity of Alpha Centauri, which is a little over four light years away, if memory serves. So either space probes circa 2036 can travel at or near light speed but people can't, or cavemen or dinosaurs sent the probe however many millions of years ago (probably cavemen, but I'm too lazy to do the math right now). If the world building wasn't so craptastic up to this point, I would be able to definitively answer this. Am I being too impatient? Probably. I should just relax and read and wait for some actual science to show up in this science fiction.

In the meantime, my money's on the dinosaurs.