Reading progress update: I've read 24%.

The Mongoliad: Book One - Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear, Mark Teppo, E.D. deBirmingham, Erik Bear, Joseph Brassey, Cooper Moo

I'm not entirely sure yet what this book wants to be when it grows up. It starts out with a cliche-rific "prequel" short story (Sinners), which so far seems to have nothing to do with the main story and could have been skipped without impacting the rest of the book (which is just an observation, not a complaint -- it wasn't bad as a character introduction), and now I'm being treated to lengthy descriptions of how gory and generally atrocious war in the 13th century was (also not a complaint). The group of knights is sort of reminding me of Sparhawk and Co. from David Eddings' Elenium and Tamuli trilogies (you know, minus the super annoying childlike goddess who had them all wrapped around her divine little finger and manipulated everything from their quests, to their major life decisions, to their personal relationships), and I haven't decided yet whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I'm hoping the series doesn't suffer from "too many cooks in the kitchen" syndrome. I haven't had good luck with serials, which is how Foreworld started out, so fingers crossed it's cohesive as advertised. But since I got the whole trilogy for less than $3 I won't be too cut up if it doesn't work out. /end parenthetical ramblings (for now)