Serial Offender: Part Three

The Mongoliad: Book Three - Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear, Mark Teppo, Nicole Galland, Erik Bear, Joseph Brassey, Cooper Moo, Mike Grell

This third "book" in the Foreworld Saga follows in the same vein as its predecessors. There's a short story (Seer) up front which I quickly got bored with and skimmed (it was yet more backstory on one of the characters). After that, the conflicts against the Mongol invaders, within the Mongol Imperial Court, and during the papal election shenanigans continue to plod along at an agonizing pace.

I got bored and frustrated enough at the 38% mark to stop reading and start skimming. There were only a couple of story lines and characters I was semi-invested in. One of these story lines ended exactly as I expected. The other, Ye Olde Maine Queste, didn't really end at all. Oh sure, something is accomplished and a couple of sub-plots are resolved (and a bunch more people die), but so much is left hanging and unresolved that it amounts to another freaking non-ending. Before I reached that non-ending I had already decided that the whole series was going on my "meh" shelf.

When I'm not so annoyed about all the wasted potential of decent writing and an awesome idea brought down by terrible execution, I might skim book four to see if anything is resolved. But I won't hold my breath. And I'm not purchasing any more books in the Foreworld Saga.

I'm swearing off serials. They're just not for me.