The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet - Becky Chambers

Once in a while, I come across a book that feels like it was written just for me. A book that makes me feel as if the psychic, precognitive author lives in my head and knows just what I like and when I’d like it.

This is one of those books.

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet is much more about the Long Way than the Angry Planet. It’s episodic, like reading a television series, but I didn’t feel the pace suffered for it. The issues each “episode” focuses on are small in scope. This isn’t a sci-fi epic about a daring crew of space warriors fighting to save the universe from evil. It’s about a hodgepodge crew of ordinary people trying to make a living in a vast, confusing, multi-cultural galaxy. It’s quiet, it’s introspective, and it’s a good 95% world-building and examining individuals and relationships from a variety of perspectives—some alien, some human, all utterly relatable. It’s not going to be everyone’s cuppa, but it was just what I wanted right now.

If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go cuddle with the book and bask in the glow of its perfection.