This was a re-read, and this is as close as I'm going to get to reviewing it. I started this series 10+ years ago and don't think I got any farther than book two. I loved this book the first time around. I loved it this time around as well, but I noticed some things that didn't leave an impression last time. For instance:
- The Greek gods are really, really terrible parents. Total deadbeats, every one of them.
- Sally Jackson got a super raw deal, voluntarily marrying and staying with an abusive asshole to protect her son. This is seriously messed up.
- Gladiola the Poodle also got a super raw deal. How many people and animals have to sacrifice their happiness for Percy’s sake?
- For most of the book, Annabeth seems to have a crush on Luke. They are first cousins. I know the Greek gods weren’t fussy about incest, but ew.
- Sally totally murdered Gabe with her son’s encouragement. And sold his corpse through an art gallery. Sally’s a murderer and Percy’s an accessory. . . . Yay?