Grave Peril

Grave Peril - Jim Butcher

It has probably been close to a decade since I read the first two books in this series. It didn’t seem to matter, as I remembered enough to get right back into it. That’s the magic of these addictive brain candy books. Once you get to know Bob (you incorporeal sexist pig, you), you never forget him. Oh, and Dresden too, I guess.

Book three brings back a bunch of old characters from previous books as well as introducing some new characters. I especially enjoyed Michael, whose devout Christianity and faith-based magic was an interesting and often amusing counterpoint to Dresden’s pentacles and demon summoning. I hope to see a lot more of him throughout the series. He and Harry have great chemistry as an odd couple of occult investigating.

I can’t remember how the first two books treated female characters. I remember Karrin and Susan being strong and independent, but I don’t remember if they and their fellow femmes were dumped on as horribly as they were in this book. Maybe I’m just more jaded and aware of misogynistic tropes. Maybe forcing every single sympathetic female character into a damsel-in-distress role was overkill. Either way, this 17-year-old book didn’t age well in that regard.

In my Pedant Corner, the writing got super repetitive in places and I found myself skimming without meaning to. It turns out you can only describe Harry drawing a circle and pushing power into it so many times before my eyes glaze over. I also noticed a bunch of laying vs lying problems. A whole bunch. Unless all those people doing the laying were actually werechickens. This is urban fantasy, so I guess I can’t entirely rule that out. :P

I read this for the Halloween Bingo 2018 Dead Lands square.