The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection

The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #13) - Alexander McCall Smith

This is one of those “bubble bath for the brain” series that I used to love turning to after heavy reads. I lost track of it for years and now I’m several books behind. I’m both pleased and dismayed that McCall Smith is still cranking one of these out every year; pleased because I enjoy my brain bubble baths, dismayed because this book feels a bit like MS is out of ideas and is just ticking established character traits off a checklist.

Mma Ramotswe drinks red bush tea and drives her tiny white van and repeatedly declares herself “traditionally built”: check.

Mma Makutsi adjusts her round glasses, covets higher status in the agency, and has conversations with her shoes: check.

Motholeli and Puso briefly make an appearance and do cute well-adjusted children stuff: check.

Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni relates current events/people to cars: check.

Charlie and Fanwell say or do something foolish: double check.

Mma Potokwani bosses people around and serves fruit cake: check.

Violet Sephotho is vain and somehow the villain: check.

I could keep going, but I’m sure you get the idea. Added to the increasing feeling of same-old, same-old is a growing suspicion that the author is now on auto-pilot, and that’s why all these characters are sort of stagnating and we’re getting awkward pull-me-out-of-the-story things like a white man from Muncie, Indiana speaking with the exact same syntax as the residents of Gaborone. I’m hoping this is just me or the author having an off-book, so to speak, and not a sign that the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency should have shut its doors on a higher note back in book 12.

I enjoyed my little visit to McCall Smith’s version of Botswana, but not nearly as much as I used to.  Here’s hoping the magic is back in the next book.