Reading progress update: I've read 103 out of 880 pages.

Inheritance: Book Four (The Inheritance cycle) - Christopher Paolini

Not for the first time, he [Roran] cursed the fact that he was unable to use magic himself. Of all the skills a warrior could possess, none was more useful; lacking it left him at the mercy of those who could reshape the world with nothing more than their will and a word.

The Will and the Word is the name of the magic system in David Eddings’s Belgariad and Malloreon universe. Paolini has tweaked his magic system slightly, but the basics are the same: the energy for a spell has to come from somewhere, spells often have unintended consequences, and if you try to will something out of existence you’re toast. It’s been over twenty years since I read those books so I’m probably not catching everything Paolini’s ripped off from them, but the further these books get from following the Star Wars movies, the more I see Eragon as Garion rather than Luke. Garion, the (formerly) illiterate farm boy with the silver mark on his palm and—OMG I DID NOT PUT THIS TOGETHER IN THE LAST BOOK BUT WHAT THE EVER-BURNING HELL—the special sword forged of metal that fell from the sky.