She Can Keep that Dress

Everbound - Brodi Ashton

Black makes me look undead. It really brings out the blue in my veins. I'm not kidding. I only wear solid black to costume parties.

I nearly gave this one 2.5 stars. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. It has the same issues as the first book did with redundant headers and overuse of subjunctive mood. The flashbacks annoyed me more than they did in book one, but for a different reason. This time they were all sentimental looks back at Nikki's relationship with Jack. Romantics will probably appreciate them, and they did serve to deepen the reader's understanding of what Nikki is fighting for, but to me they felt like filler. Boring, sappy filler. (I wasn't in the most sentimental of moods while reading, in case you couldn't tell.) They also interrupted my exploration of the Everneath, which is what I came for. But I was more or less expecting all that, and that's not why I nearly took another half star off my rating.

It's what the author did to Nikki that really irked me.

The author forced Nikki into a situation in which she became, in effect, too stupid to live. It's not that Nikki was suddenly making remarkably bad decisions (well, worse than her usual bad decisions). It's more like circumstances rendered her incapable of recognizing how bad her decisions were. It got the story where it needed to go, but it wasn't a very fun ride for me. I spotted the twist ending early on. It was almost painfully obvious and led to much eye rolling and face palming along the way, but in the end I had to give it that extra half star because I realized I actually cared enough to be annoyed for the sake of the characters (as opposed to annoyed by bad writing, and the writing wasn't bad).

I'm also not sure I'm supposed to like Cole more than Jack. I can't help it. I don't usually have a thing for the bad boys, but Jack is just so darn ... bland. I mean, it's not like I want to date the feelings vampire or anything (my husband might object), but at least Cole has layers. There's more substance to him than love for Nikki, which is what Jack's entire being is apparently composed of. Yawn. Anywho, I will be reading book three whenever I get a copy of it.