City of Fanfic :P

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) - Cassandra Clare

So! City of Bones. Sigh. I'm a little bitter. I got sucked in by a bunch of interesting covers and a fantastic sale price on a three-book box set. Someone else saw the set on my shelf and gifted me book four. Months passed, the return window expired, and then I found out about the Harry Potter fanfic origins of this series. I have views on charging money for fanfic and passing it off as original work in any way, shape, or form. These views aren't favorable. But I've already spent my money, so I thought I might as well try to enjoy these less-than-original books.

Going in, I was prepared for the Harry Potter parallels. I might have rolled my eyes at them a few times (mundies/muggles = eye-roll, Valentine/Voldemort = eye-roll, Mortal Cup/Sorcerer's Stone = eye-roll, etc), but I was willing to overlook them for the sake of what I hoped would be a mostly original-ish story. So imagine my disappointment when the book pulled out one cliche after another. There wasn't a single plot element that I could point to and say, "I've never seen that before!" It's an okay story, it's entertaining, and I can see why it's so popular. I can. Really. Right up until the end I could even see myself maybe enjoying the rest of the books I own and buying the rest of the books in The Mortal Instruments.

And then the book

pulled a Star Wars. I mean, think about it. Darth Vader Valentine wants to rule the galaxy Clave as father and son, Luke Jace and Leia Clary are hung up on each other, and Han Solo Simon is frozen in carbonite the Friendzone.

(show spoiler)

Sigh.

I'm not even going to go into the issues I had with the editing.

I hope it gets better.